MinimServer Forum
Latest Melco Firmware - Printable Version

+- MinimServer Forum (https://forum.minimserver.com)
+-- Forum: MinimServer (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Digital Audio (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Latest Melco Firmware (/showthread.php?tid=4911)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Latest Melco Firmware - alan.ainslie - 13-11-2018 13:30

(22-06-2018 16:32)Gandharva Wrote:  I read on an old thread, in which Simon said that he was writing to Melco to ask about using a travel router so that the Melco could be controlled 'off network'. I cannot find the answer to that in the thread. If anyone is successfully using this method, would they mind posting what settings they have used on the router.

Thanks in anticipation.

I confess to reading a Forum!! MinimServer is always interesting though.

I was directed here because of some comments of issues with Song Title not changing from Track 1 to subsequent tracks on Melco - I cannot replicate it here but from some discussion seems to be library related and I have kindly been offered a library that behaves in this way to investigate.

The point in hand is Travel router though.

So if I can borrow some of Minim bandwidth.....

If you use NETWORK -- DIRECT MODE, the N1 will act as DHCP server to the network renderer. No connection to LAN port required. All nice and purist but if there is no easy way to navigate music on the renderer (no decent front panel etc) then it is not good.

In that condition please use a Travel Router. These generally are supplied with a nasty SMPS wall wart but you can use a spare USB on the Melco to power it without creating a dirty environment. They have a single Ethernet spout which connects to the N1 LAN socket. So The N1 is not in Direct Mode and takes the IP address from the travel router. The Travel Router creates a small WiFi network to communicate with the iPad or whatever.

Benefit is that you do not need a LAN. Small SQ benefit - not as great as Direct Mode. But usually extremely stable App operation as just a simple WiFi with one device.
We use this method at exhibitions generally.

Downside is no CD lookup, nor FW updates and no TIDAL of course. Just keep the actual device away from other cables as it is a few mW radio transmitter.

Hope this helps.
Head down again!!

RE: Latest Melco Firmware - simoncn - 13-11-2018 18:52

Thanks, Alan!

Another downside is that MinimServer automatic online updates won't work in this configuration.

RE: Latest Melco Firmware - Gandharva - 17-11-2018 13:31

(13-11-2018 13:30)alan.ainslie Wrote:  
(22-06-2018 16:32)Gandharva Wrote:  I read on an old thread, in which Simon said that he was writing to Melco to ask about using a travel router so that the Melco could be controlled 'off network'. I cannot find the answer to that in the thread. If anyone is successfully using this method, would they mind posting what settings they have used on the router.

Thanks in anticipation.

I confess to reading a Forum!! MinimServer is always interesting though.

I was directed here because of some comments of issues with Song Title not changing from Track 1 to subsequent tracks on Melco - I cannot replicate it here but from some discussion seems to be library related and I have kindly been offered a library that behaves in this way to investigate.

The point in hand is Travel router though.

So if I can borrow some of Minim bandwidth.....

If you use NETWORK -- DIRECT MODE, the N1 will act as DHCP server to the network renderer. No connection to LAN port required. All nice and purist but if there is no easy way to navigate music on the renderer (no decent front panel etc) then it is not good.

In that condition please use a Travel Router. These generally are supplied with a nasty SMPS wall wart but you can use a spare USB on the Melco to power it without creating a dirty environment. They have a single Ethernet spout which connects to the N1 LAN socket. So The N1 is not in Direct Mode and takes the IP address from the travel router. The Travel Router creates a small WiFi network to communicate with the iPad or whatever.

Benefit is that you do not need a LAN. Small SQ benefit - not as great as Direct Mode. But usually extremely stable App operation as just a simple WiFi with one device.
We use this method at exhibitions generally.

Downside is no CD lookup, nor FW updates and no TIDAL of course. Just keep the actual device away from other cables as it is a few mW radio transmitter.

Hope this helps.
Head down again!!

Interesting that you should find my post Alan, elsewhere I reported on my experiments with a travel router which is quite a neat playing solution. Steve.