MinimServer Forum
Sorting Track Artist and Album Artist by surname first - Printable Version

+- MinimServer Forum (https://forum.minimserver.com)
+-- Forum: MinimServer (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Support (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: Sorting Track Artist and Album Artist by surname first (/showthread.php?tid=4385)

Sorting Track Artist and Album Artist by surname first - OliverK - 06-02-2018 19:30

Hi,

So I've looked at the user guide and I'm sure the answer is there but whenever I use tagOptions and tagValue in Minimserver, I keep getting the red error messages.

I'll try and explain what I want to do. I have all my files tagged with the Sort Track Artist and Sort Album Artist tags as 'Surname, First Name'. What I want is that artists such as David Bowie show in the index as David Bowie but ordered like 'Bowie, David'. So 'David Bowie' shows under B, not D.

I've searched the forum but the only threads I can found are from a few years ago when there are hints to an update but I can't find what that update is!

Thanks in advance.

RE: Sorting Track Artist and Album Artist by surname first - antonmb - 06-02-2018 22:10

Do you also have the Artist field populated with the artist name lFirst Last”, or only the Sort field populated?

RE: Sorting Track Artist and Album Artist by surname first - OliverK - 06-02-2018 22:35

(06-02-2018 22:10)antonmb Wrote:  Do you also have the Artist field populated with the artist name lFirst Last”, or only the Sort field populated?

Hi. I use Metadatics. The sort fields for both Sort Track Artist and Sort Album Artist are populated 'Surname, First Name' (e.g. 'Bowie, David') and the general Track Artist and Album Artist fields are populated 'First Name Surname' (e.g. David Bowie).

I'm confused as to what I should be entering in the Minimserver fields for TagOptions and tagValue.

RE: Sorting Track Artist and Album Artist by surname first - simoncn - 06-02-2018 23:20

You can find the correct settings in this section.

If you get an error message when doing this, please post your tagValue setting and the error message.

RE: Sorting Track Artist and Album Artist by surname first - OliverK - 06-02-2018 23:51

(06-02-2018 23:20)simoncn Wrote:  You can find the correct settings in this section.

If you get an error message when doing this, please post your tagValue setting and the error message.

Yes, I've read this section and still get error messages. Sorry but this just seems over my head.

I've tried the following:

TagOptions: ArtistSort.reverseName.display
TagValue: Artist.value.sort={ArtistSort},Artist.default={ArtistSort.custom}

As you can see, I've substituted 'Composer' for 'Artist' as I've no interest in using the Composer tags. I've even tried it with 'AlbumArtist' as well but that came up with a red error message as well. I also tried adding '.index' at the end but this didn't work either. What am I doing wrong? It seems so complicated! To repeat, I just want to be able to see artist names written normally (i.e. 'First Name Surname') but sort them by surname first.

Hope this helps. Sorry for the frustration but I am not a computer person.

RE: Sorting Track Artist and Album Artist by surname first - simoncn - 07-02-2018 00:15

You don't need anything in tagOptions. You just need to do what it says in the section that I linked. Please type into tagValue exactly what it says there (the last bullet). You might need the settings in the preceding bullets as well. I don't know why you have mentioned Composer as this isn't relevant to what you want to do.

Edit: In case it wasn't clear, the section I linked is titled 'Custom Artist index sorting' and doesn't include anything in the following section titled 'Using the reverseName option'.

RE: Sorting Track Artist and Album Artist by surname first - OliverK - 07-02-2018 11:07

(07-02-2018 00:15)simoncn Wrote:  You don't need anything in tagOptions. You just need to do what it says in the section that I linked. Please type into tagValue exactly what it says there (the last bullet). You might need the settings in the preceding bullets as well. I don't know why you have mentioned Composer as this isn't relevant to what you want to do.

Edit: In case it wasn't clear, the section I linked is titled 'Custom Artist index sorting' and doesn't include anything in the following section titled 'Using the reverseName option'.

Yes, the reverseName option confused me. Thanks, I've got it working now.