MinimServer Forum
SongKong - Printable Version

+- MinimServer Forum (https://forum.minimserver.com)
+-- Forum: MinimServer (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Music Tagging (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: SongKong (/showthread.php?tid=3912)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: SongKong - lyapounov - 26-04-2018 21:23

(23-04-2018 09:52)paultaylor Wrote:  
(20-04-2018 15:08)lyapounov Wrote:  Is there a way to define my own tagging pattern ?
What do you mean by that, could you give an example ?

Do you mean can I rename my files based on my metadata in the way you want ? If so yes your rename masks are completely configurable, you have access to all your metadata and you can use the javascript expression language to manipulate as you see fit. SongKong comes with twenty predefined rename masks.

Not the file, but the tags.
As an example : I want all all my album tags in the opera category to be :
Composer - Opera [conductor; orchestra; main singer (if any)]

Mozart - Le Nozze di Figaro [Teodor Currentsis; Musicaeterna]
Bizet - Carmen [Georges Prêtre; Orchestre du théâtre national de l'opéra de Paris; Maria Callas]

Or I want all the track tags to be (still in Opera category)
Act x - Scene xx, track name, participating roles (if any)

In the jazz space, I want the album tag to be
Album name [list of main musicians,]

Tarentella [Lars Danielsson, Leszek Możdżer, Mathias Eick]

Etc...
Maybe too complex ?

Thx !!!

RE: SongKong - paultaylor - 27-04-2018 09:55

So SongKong supports a lot of tags so it has separate fields for Conductor, Orchestra, Performers, Movements, Work ectera. It can also automatically identify Classical music and apply some Classical specific options, such as configuring the Track Artist (see screenshot below)

But you cannot currently do custom tag mappings like you can do for renaming filenaming i.e album = Composer - Opera [conductor; orchestra; main singer (if any)]

I would like to add custom tag mapping. However if you are using MinimServer I cannot really see the need to override the actual metadata field such as Album in this way, since you can configure MinimServer to allow browsing by any field, and since you can set the display value for an album to other fields my mind it would be better if the album field reflected the actual album. After all what do you do if your CD only consists part of an Opera, or multiple Opera ?

[Image: remote_fixsongs_classical.jpg]

RE: SongKong - lyapounov - 27-04-2018 15:20

I agree with what you say, though I have not yet explored all minimserver possibilities.

But here is my difficulty : you say "it would be better if the album field reflected the actual album" but what is "the actual album" ???

That is easy for the Pink Floyd, but as you know more complex in the case of classical music (in 1995 I was teaching databases, and I asked my students to make the data model of a classical music album).

Just a question for you : what is the album title of an opera ? the opera title, or the opera title by the conductor ? When discussing with friends, we always say "opera by xxx"

RE: SongKong - paultaylor - 27-04-2018 16:24

(27-04-2018 15:20)lyapounov Wrote:  Just a question for you : what is the album title of an opera ? the opera title, or the opera title by the conductor ? When discussing with friends, we always say "opera by xxx"
I would say the album title is the title as it is presented on the front cover/spine. For an Opera this would probably be the name of the Opera preceded by the composer e.g Bizet: Carmen, then the AlbumArtist would be the principal performers of the album, generally they would be credited on the front cover and would generally include conductor, soloists, orchestra e.g Georges Prêtre; Orchestre du théâtre national de l'opéra de Paris; Maria Callas.

RE: SongKong - paultaylor - 28-04-2018 15:19

SongKong customer Nathan Howell has kindly created a docker file for SongKong which should be it works with Synology NAS and some others. Docker is new to me so at the moment I don't quite know how it works, but hopefully this will be a useful interim measure - https://hub.docker.com/r/nathanhowell/songkong/

RE: SongKong - lyapounov - 30-04-2018 06:57

(27-04-2018 16:24)paultaylor Wrote:  
(27-04-2018 15:20)lyapounov Wrote:  Just a question for you : what is the album title of an opera ? the opera title, or the opera title by the conductor ? When discussing with friends, we always say "opera by xxx"
I would say the album title is the title as it is presented on the front cover/spine. For an Opera this would probably be the name of the Opera preceded by the composer e.g Bizet: Carmen, then the AlbumArtist would be the principal performers of the album, generally they would be credited on the front cover and would generally include conductor, soloists, orchestra e.g Georges Prêtre; Orchestre du théâtre national de l'opéra de Paris; Maria Callas.

Then the composer name is in the title. This is mandatory in the case of a symphony for example, where you need the composer's name, which is then redundant with the composer tag, and your database may not be normalized. And also, if you don't include the performer's name in the title, you will have many albums with the same title. And what about, as an example, Beethoven symphonies by Karajan ? You have 1951-1955, 1963 and 1977 recordings...

In a nutshell, nothing is obvious.

RE: SongKong - paultaylor - 30-04-2018 10:22

(30-04-2018 06:57)lyapounov Wrote:  
(27-04-2018 16:24)paultaylor Wrote:  

Then the composer name is in the title. This is mandatory in the case of a symphony for example, where you need the composer's name, which is then redundant with the composer tag, and your database may not be normalized. And also, if you don't include the performer's name in the title, you will have many albums with the same title. And what about, as an example, Beethoven symphonies by Karajan ? You have 1951-1955, 1963 and 1977 recordings...

In a nutshell, nothing is obvious.
I'm sorry I don't really understand the logic, the composer name should usually be part of the album title because it is part of the album title, and there is some sense in always including it when missing it form actual album cover to normalize the data. It doesn't matter that there is already a separate composer field for the composer, the composer is in the album title simply because that is the album title. And remember there is a separate Work/Group field that can contain the work without additional information such as composer.

Yes you could have duplicate album titles, but the album artist will be different, so the combination will be different, have different years then the year field will be different.

Why do you require that the Album title has to be unique for each album ?

RE: SongKong - lyapounov - 04-05-2018 16:01

What I mean by "not normalized" is that the composer name both in the title and in another field, which can be source of incoherences

RE: SongKong - paultaylor - 06-05-2018 07:28

(04-05-2018 16:01)lyapounov Wrote:  What I mean by "not normalized" is that the composer name both in the title and in another field, which can be source of incoherences
Yes, but it doesn't need to be inconsistent, and you want to put the performers and conductor in the title and yet they have their own fields as well. But unlike the composer the conductor is not part of the album title which is why is would expect the composer to be in the album title but not the conductor.

RE: SongKong - paultaylor - 14-08-2018 14:06

We our excited to announce that we now have a Beta version of SongKong now available for the Melco N1, please see http://www.jthink.net/songkongformelco/melco_install.jsp for details.
Whilst this at Beta and a number of things may change it is a fully functioning version of SongKong.