MinimServer Forum
I'm impressed... detecting corrupted audio files - Printable Version

+- MinimServer Forum (https://forum.minimserver.com)
+-- Forum: MinimServer (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: I'm impressed... detecting corrupted audio files (/showthread.php?tid=2155)

I'm impressed... detecting corrupted audio files - krutsch - 30-01-2015 20:55

Wow... I forced a complete rescan of my iTunes library (which I transcode to WAV24 via MinimStreamer) for use in my household streamers.

Out of curiosity, I looked at the Log output. I was surprised to see I had some missing tracks in playlists (which was easy to correct in iTunes).

And, I had some IDv3 tags that required updating - again, nice, and easy to fix with the Tag app.

More interesting, however, were the indications of audio stream corruption in some MP3s. Skeptical, I listened to the tracks so indicated and was glad to hear that, yes, in fact, each of the tracks were corrupted (I can hear skipping sounds during playback).

How accurate or reliable is this with FLAC and ALAC tracks? What I mean is, how reliably can MinimServer detect corrupted audio and/or damaged tags?

Is MinimServer my solution for detecting bit-rot on my audio collection? If so, this is really, really cool, because detection of bad audio files is now a simple case of re-rip and/or MD5 compare and restore from a back-up on my Drobo.

RE: I'm impressed... detecting corrupted audio files - simoncn - 30-01-2015 21:31

(30-01-2015 20:55)krutsch Wrote:  Wow... I forced a complete rescan of my iTunes library (which I transcode to WAV24 via MinimStreamer) for use in my household streamers.

Out of curiosity, I looked at the Log output. I was surprised to see I had some missing tracks in playlists (which was easy to correct in iTunes).

And, I had some IDv3 tags that required updating - again, nice, and easy to fix with the Tag app.

More interesting, however, were the indications of audio stream corruption in some MP3s. Skeptical, I listened to the tracks so indicated and was glad to hear that, yes, in fact, each of the tracks were corrupted (I can hear skipping sounds during playback).

How accurate or reliable is this with FLAC and ALAC tracks? What I mean is, how reliably can MinimServer detect corrupted audio and/or damaged tags?

Is MinimServer my solution for detecting bit-rot on my audio collection? If so, this is really, really cool, because detection of bad audio files is now a simple case of re-rip and/or MD5 compare and restore from a back-up on my Drobo.

MinimServer isn't doing as much audio corruption detection as you are hoping for.

For some MP3 files, it is necessary to read a sample of audio frames to compute the track duration. if MinimServer detects audio corruption while doing this, it will produce the messages you have seen. In all other cases, MinimServer doesn't read or check the audio data in the file.

RE: I'm impressed... detecting corrupted audio files - krutsch - 31-01-2015 00:39

(30-01-2015 21:31)simoncn Wrote:  MinimServer isn't doing as much audio corruption detection as you are hoping for.

For some MP3 files, it is necessary to read a sample of audio frames to compute the track duration. if MinimServer detects audio corruption while doing this, it will produce the messages you have seen. In all other cases, MinimServer doesn't read or check the audio data in the file.

Bummer... so, is there an open source package that *does* do audio corruption detection? Because I could whip together a program that could be called from my sync program, that I use for backing up.

Just curious if you know of something that works well.

Thanks for the quick response,

Ken

RE: I'm impressed... detecting corrupted audio files - simoncn - 31-01-2015 08:29

(31-01-2015 00:39)krutsch Wrote:  Bummer... so, is there an open source package that *does* do audio corruption detection? Because I could whip together a program that could be called from my sync program, that I use for backing up.

Ken

I don't know of anything but other people might have suggestions.

If the files were OK when first ripped but are not OK now, you need to replace the HDD on which they are stored.

RE: I'm impressed... detecting corrupted audio files - krutsch - 31-01-2015 08:40

(31-01-2015 08:29)simoncn Wrote:  I don't know of anything but other people might have suggestions.

If the files were OK when first ripped but are not OK now, you need to replace the HDD on which they are stored.

Well... I've worked in the storage industry as an engineer for most of my career and that made me smile.

RE: I'm impressed... detecting corrupted audio files - simoncn - 31-01-2015 08:46

(31-01-2015 08:40)krutsch Wrote:  Well... I've worked in the storage industry as an engineer for most of my career and that made me smile.

This was a response to your earlier reference to bit-rot. Smile

RE: I'm impressed... detecting corrupted audio files - alexinc - 31-01-2015 11:19

http://mp3val.sourceforge.net/

RE: I'm impressed... detecting corrupted audio files - paulgj - 02-05-2017 00:32

I use Audiotester for checking my FLAC files. It works with other formats too:

"A tool to test for errors in MP3, Ogg Vorbis, FLAC & WavPack files."

RE: I'm impressed... detecting corrupted audio files - paulgj - 03-05-2017 22:29

FLAC Frontend also has a button to check for damaged/corrupted flac files. It runs the official flac tools under the covers.

[Image: flac%20frontent%20test%20button.png]

RE: I'm impressed... detecting corrupted audio files - Pepsican - 04-05-2017 15:08

(31-01-2015 00:39)krutsch Wrote:  
(30-01-2015 21:31)simoncn Wrote:  MinimServer isn't doing as much audio corruption detection as you are hoping for.

Bummer... so, is there an open source package that *does* do audio corruption detection? Because I could whip together a program that could be called from my sync program, that I use for backing up.

Ken

Yes, Foobar2000 will allow you to scan your library for corrupt files. Foobar is also a player so you can immediately check things and it will allow you to export the report to Excel.

Also, Illustrate's PerfectTunes will scan your library not only for corruption, but also on whether the rip was bitperfect (on losless files only), metadata completeness, and track duplication.