MinimServer Forum
Melco Audiophile NAS - Printable Version

+- MinimServer Forum (https://forum.minimserver.com)
+-- Forum: MinimServer (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Digital Audio (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Melco Audiophile NAS (/showthread.php?tid=2032)

RE: Melco Audiophile NAS - GreenMtnGringo - 07-06-2023 16:14

@stephenpark:

Hi, I have a first-generation Melco N1ZH. My Melco, and I believe all Melcos, use relatively low-powered processors by design so as to generate less noise. This means they are not adept at upscaling/transcoding. My guess is that if you tried to upscale/transcode to the maximum setting available via MinimServer2 on your Melco, you would end up with skipping and dropouts. In short, a Melco is an excellent file server, but it is not designed to do high-powered upscaling/transcoding. (By all means give it a try, though, as Your Mileage May Vary.) Congratulations on the Melco, and please let us know how you get on.

RE: Melco Audiophile NAS - stephenpark - 08-06-2023 01:52

(07-06-2023 16:14)GreenMtnGringo Wrote:  @stephenpark:

Hi, I have a first-generation Melco N1ZH. My Melco, and I believe all Melcos, use relatively low-powered processors by design so as to generate less noise. This means they are not adept at upscaling/transcoding. My guess is that if you tried to upscale/transcode to the maximum setting available via MinimServer2 on your Melco, you would end up with skipping and dropouts. In short, a Melco is an excellent file server, but it is not designed to do high-powered upscaling/transcoding. (By all means give it a try, though, as Your Mileage May Vary.) Congratulations on the Melco, and please let us know how you get on.

Thanks for your advice.
I uses Raspberry Pi4 / 8GB / 32bit OS / JRiver Media Center with SoX Upsampler enabled, and use this feature with ARM cpu is not a problem at all, but since I don't know what kind of CPU is used on Melco model, and since there is not much information about it, I would try it as you suggest.
If I feel something stuttering or dropout / skipping, I will stop using it...
I have to find a way to delete / disable MinimStreamer as well, also there is no info concerning complete delete such packages (MinimStreamer and ffmpeg packages).
Even if I don't use functions, just remains disabled package could affect any sound quality, I believe. Hope MinimServer2 has better sounding and air than Twonkey Server.

BTW, there is two types of DSD playback, DSD as DoP and Markless DSD. I think that Markless DSD is native, and since my Chord TT2 is support Native DSD playback through USB and also support DoP through SPDIF, can I set Melco to DSD mode as Markless?

RE: Melco Audiophile NAS - simoncn - 08-06-2023 16:58

If you are playing to the TT2 via the Melco USB output, you are limited to 32-bit 384 kHz. MinimStreamer transcoding is also currently limited to 384 kHz although this could be increased if necessary.

I have tried using MinimStreamer to transcode a 16/44.1 FLAC file to 32/352.4 WAV on my Melco (same model as yours) and the file does play. I am unable to try this with higher sample rates because I don't have a DAC that can handle these sample rates.

I am not sure whether the default Melco setting for USB-DAC / DSD playback mode (Standard) will send markerless DSD to your TT2. The Melco user manual says this will send markerless DSD to DACs that support Melco Markerless DSD. Looking at the list on this page, no CHORD DACs are listed as being compatible with Markerless DSD playback. For a definitive answer on this, you would need to contact Melco.

To completely remove MinimStreamer and ffmpeg from your Melco, open the MinimServer configuration web page, then select the MinimStreamer tab and click the Remove button.

RE: Melco Audiophile NAS - stephenpark - 09-06-2023 02:40

(08-06-2023 16:58)simoncn Wrote:  If you are playing to the TT2 via the Melco USB output, you are limited to 32-bit 384 kHz. MinimStreamer transcoding is also currently limited to 384 kHz although this could be increased if necessary.

I have tried using MinimStreamer to transcode a 16/44.1 FLAC file to 32/352.4 WAV on my Melco (same model as yours) and the file does play. I am unable to try this with higher sample rates because I don't have a DAC that can handle these sample rates.

I am not sure whether the default Melco setting for USB-DAC / DSD playback mode (Standard) will send markerless DSD to your TT2. The Melco user manual says this will send markerless DSD to DACs that support Melco Markerless DSD. Looking at the list on this page, no CHORD DACs are listed as being compatible with Markerless DSD playback. For a definitive answer on this, you would need to contact Melco.

To completely remove MinimStreamer and ffmpeg from your Melco, open the MinimServer configuration web page, then select the MinimStreamer tab and click the Remove button.

Thanks for your info.
Transcoding by MinimStreamer, I will avoid it because I will use M-Scaler anyway. I think it is much better and stable solution and good matching with Chord products.

Makerless DSD - on the other hand - that I've been miscomprehend that as "Markless DSD" so I was confused that what does it mean? But, it is "Maker-less" when I look into it. So I am more confused now. What does it mean "Maker-less DSD compatible"? If my TT2 is not compatible Makerless DSD playback, I still can play as DoP compatible, no problem.... but it does not make any sense... TT2 and DAVE support Native DSD until DSD1024 (DSDx4), ok, Melco's USB capability limited DSD256(DSDx2) because it's USB has maximum PCM capability is 328K, I understand. But "Native DSD playback" does not limit by player, even cheap player from China can play Native DSD with TT2.... it makes me wonder, why...?
Why Melco has "Native DSD playback" incompatible issues with certain DACs which uses industrial standard USB chips and protocol, which widely almost all manufactures use...? Hum... Huh

Of course I don't care as long as Melco sounding good and tasty and... natural, it will be, I believe. Today Melco will on my hand. I will play with it some time... and see what I can do! Undecided

RE: Melco Audiophile NAS - simoncn - 09-06-2023 07:48

It is Markerless (native) DSD, not Makerless. I agree that the Melco implementation of this as described in the user manual makes no sense.

RE: Melco Audiophile NAS - stephenpark - 09-06-2023 10:07

(09-06-2023 07:48)simoncn Wrote:  It is Markerless (native) DSD, not Makerless. I agree that the Melco implementation of this as described in the user manual makes no sense.

What... oh my bad. To old to read correct spell! Sorry about it.
However... Markless / Makerless / Markerless whatever, it makes no sense at all for sure. I have good feeling for my new Melco N1, hopefully it will give me a good sound, otherwise I will be very sad!

RE: Melco Audiophile NAS - simoncn - 09-06-2023 10:20

I have been very pleased with the sound from my Melco.

As you are using your Melco with a USB-attached DAC, you should set Network / Player Port to Off. This provides better sound quality than the default setting of Bridged Mode.

RE: Melco Audiophile NAS - stephenpark - 09-06-2023 10:56

(09-06-2023 10:20)simoncn Wrote:  I have been very pleased with the sound from my Melco.

As you are using your Melco with a USB-attached DAC, you should set Network / Player Port to Off. This provides better sound quality than the default setting of Bridged Mode.

Oh that is good advice!!
I will do it when I'm at home. Actually my new Melco is on my car now. And have to do many things. I have two 4TB SSD on my hand, new one, I will open my Melco and take HDD out, replace it with new SSD. I need to find how I attach this 2.5" SSD to 3.5" brackets, is first thing, and also have to find a way to initialize these new disks. There is no info on Melco manual so I need to search all forum. Sad

RE: Melco Audiophile NAS - stephenpark - 14-06-2023 17:15

Today is 5th day passed when I start using my Melco N1A/2EX.
Though I upgrade power to low ripple / low noise / high precision SMPS, and change default power noise filter to custom one.
Also HDDs are replaced SSD 3.84TB Datacenter version, using aluminum bracket for convert 2.5" to 3.5" size. Copy all my backup albums to Melco, using SMB protocol, took 3 full days for 5.8TB size total. It connected to M-Scaler and TT2, and what a sound! I love it, much better than my Raspberry DLNA server/streamer. My MinimServer is paid version, and SongKong as well. It works nicely with Melco. Most of all, I am impressed with its sound quality, clear as raw fish and has much resonance, love it's taste and nuance. I am surprised that just network streamer can produce such a high quality sound...! I am fully satisfied of my bet for Melco. And start grow curiosity that how more good and better Z series will be...?

RE: Melco Audiophile NAS - GreenMtnGringo - 14-06-2023 17:21

Thanks for the report, congratulations, and welcome to the Melco club!