MinimServer Forum
Melco Audiophile NAS - Printable Version

+- MinimServer Forum (https://forum.minimserver.com)
+-- Forum: MinimServer (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Digital Audio (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Melco Audiophile NAS (/showthread.php?tid=2032)

RE: Melco Audiophile NAS - Playback - 05-08-2016 15:19

Melco launched a new firmware version 3.11 today to correct the problems in v.3.10.

Please read about it here: http://www.melco-audio.com/

RE: Melco Audiophile NAS - nfnc - 06-08-2016 19:38

If you have not already updated to v 3.11, it would be advisable to do so soonest possible.

Had an issue seeing the Melco files on the Mac Finder & Kinsky although it was fine with the Lumin app (which stores the database on the device). When I updated to firmware v 3.11, the files could be seen on Finder and Kinsky but displayed rather oddly on the Lumin app. In the end, I had to restore the files from backup - bit painful.

See extract from Melco website below

====

IMPORTANT NOTICE

Please do not use N1 when V3.10 FW is installed. V3.10 is not always able to accurately read the music contents of the HDD, meaning that in some cases users will not be able to see some or all of the music on the HDD either with the control App or by Explorer or Finder on a networked computer. Continued use of V3.10 may result in non - recoverable data loss.
Please upgrade to V3.11 immediately to avoid this problem and protect your music.
(V3.00 and previous FW versions do not have the data loss problem)

FOR V3.10 USER

Step 1) Update FW to V3.11.(via Network or from USB)

Step 2) Back up if you do not have back up date already.

Step 3) Format Internal Drives from menu.

Menu – 4.Setting – 12.Drive – Select the current RAID mode

Step 4) Restore the music from the back up drive.

Download FW 3.11 from here.

RE: Melco Audiophile NAS - Martin H - 08-08-2016 00:18

I know that this is not a Melco forum and appreciate Simon's patience with the occasional thread. I would like to check the common understanding of this as unfortunately I did upgrade to Version 3.10 the other day. As it happens I have done very little with the server since then I think but it will have been used.

If I understand the advice it says that I should upgrade but then also reformat the drives and then copy over the whole music files again????

I am guessing none of you will actually know the answer but is that necessary if after the upgrade I can do a 'properties' check and see that the correct number of files and folders are there? Seems such an odd thing to embark on and TBH a bit of a pain with 3500 albums.

What seems even more peculiar is the recommendation to back up and then copy it back but hey ho. Maybe some more info would make this clearer and I just wondered if anyone understood more. I may ring the dealer but can't do that until Tuesday unfortunately.

All very odd.

RE: Melco Audiophile NAS - simoncn - 08-08-2016 14:10

I have been getting strange errors since updating from 3.10 to 3.11 so I have done a backup/reformat/restore as recommended by Melco.

RE: Melco Audiophile NAS - Martin H - 08-08-2016 14:49

(08-08-2016 14:10)simoncn Wrote:  I have been getting strange errors since updating from 3.10 to 3.11 so I have done a backup/reformat/restore as recommended by Melco.

Simon

Just so I can look out for them can you outline briefly the type of error?
I might just do the same but it's a bit of a pain. I hadn't had any noticeable errors on 3.10 but as I said I really hadn't played the server a lot.

RE: Melco Audiophile NAS - simoncn - 08-08-2016 15:55

(08-08-2016 14:49)Martin H Wrote:  Just so I can look out for them can you outline briefly the type of error?
I might just do the same but it's a bit of a pain. I hadn't had any noticeable errors on 3.10 but as I said I really hadn't played the server a lot.

1) The contents of an album showing as "modified or deleted" in MinimServer

2) The "share" folder becoming inaccessible, so the MinimServer library appears to be empty

RE: Melco Audiophile NAS - Martin H - 08-08-2016 20:08

(08-08-2016 15:55)simoncn Wrote:  
(08-08-2016 14:49)Martin H Wrote:  Just so I can look out for them can you outline briefly the type of error?

1) The contents of an album showing as "modified or deleted" in MinimServer

2) The "share" folder becoming inaccessible, so the MinimServer library appears to be empty

Thanks Simon. I am thinking that maybe it makes sense to reformat etc. after all. Would you be able to forward me instructions for reinstall of Minimserver after the format please? I did it back in the dark ages before an official agreed release and so don't have the info etc.

Many thanks.

Martin

RE: Melco Audiophile NAS - simoncn - 08-08-2016 20:26

(08-08-2016 20:08)Martin H Wrote:  Thanks Simon. I am thinking that maybe it makes sense to reformat etc. after all. Would you be able to forward me instructions for reinstall of Minimserver after the format please? I did it back in the dark ages before an official agreed release and so don't have the info etc.

Many thanks.
Martin

You don't need to reinstall MinimServer if you follow the correct steps when restoring your data after the reformat. You need to select "Restore data" and not "Restore settings".

RE: Melco Audiophile NAS - Martin H - 08-08-2016 21:55

(08-08-2016 20:26)simoncn Wrote:  
(08-08-2016 20:08)Martin H Wrote:  Thanks Simon. I am thinking that maybe it makes sense to reformat etc. after all. Would you be able to forward me instructions for reinstall of Minimserver after the format please? I did it back in the dark ages before an official agreed release and so don't have the info etc.

Many thanks.
Martin

You don't need to reinstall MinimServer if you follow the correct steps when restoring your data after the reformat. You need to select "Restore data" and not "Restore settings".

Just to be clear I don't have a backup of the Melco per se, I have multiple copies of the music (on QNAP drives). So I intend to reformat the drives and then simply copy the music across as I did originally. I am assuming that Minimserver will require a reinstall because I doubt it runs from the Rom?

I think your suggestion assumes I have done a 'backup' from the Melco which I would then restore? I don't have sufficient spare disk drives to back that up as well now.

Apologies if I am misunderstanding something. It may be that my mental image of the world is flawed. I assume the Melco has a Rom that holds the Melco firmware which is updated with the different versions. That the drives hold the music data and probably the Minimserver software. No idea where the Twonky software is held. Again I am assuming that the reformat of the drives therefore doesn't impact the operating software of the Melco but trashes the music files and Minimserver.

Therefore I think I need to reinstall? Apologies.

RE: Melco Audiophile NAS - simoncn - 08-08-2016 22:08

MinimServer is installed in a system area that is not part of the user-accessible HDD partition. Reformatting the user-accessible HDD partition will not cause MinimServer to become uninstalled.