MinimServer Forum

Full Version: MS runs on PWD but not Lumin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi All:

This may not be an MS problem, and if that turns out to be the case, I will look elsewhere, but I wanted to post and see if anyone had thoughts. My MS is running on a Synology 411+, and very well. It serves up files to my PS Audio PWD MkII darn close to flawlessly. I am able to control it fine through MW, and I am able to play files using the PSA eLyric iPad and iPhone apps. So, my problem is likely not my MS, but I want to be sure.

Today, I installed my brand-new Lumin [ a lovely piece of equipment] into my system. It is connected via Ethernet to the same Airport Extreme bridge as the PWD. It is connected to the same Zektor MAS7.1 switch as the PWD.

When I started up the Lumin, it powered up fine. When I started the Lumin iPad app, it located the MS immediately, and it also located the Lumin itself. I am able to turn the Lumin on and off from the iPad app. I am able to select tracks into a playlist. Cover art is good, and search works well. But when I try to play files, the Lumin just sits there; the track name shows in its window, but play never commences. If I assemble a playlist, and press play, the Lumin cycles quickly through the files as if there is no content in them. The names of the files appear in the Lumin device window, but it goes right through the list without actually playing any content.

I have a feeling I am missing something obvious here, but for the life of me, I don't know what it is.

TIA for any suggestions or questions. And again, if I should seek my answer elsewhere, just let me know.
Hi,

asumming with "MS" you mean MinimServer rather than some nasty health issues, All I can say is that MinimServer works extrmely well the Lumin App. if the tacks just roll thru one after the other wothout playing, it could be an issue of the server pointing to a file adress that is no longer valid.

Have you tried rebuilding the Minim library? Or maybe try an update of the Lumin App library itself, which you can do under settings.

Dont know the LUMIN player itself but assuming the stuff (audio format) you feed it is on its compatibility list, that should not be the source of the problem.

good luck
bbrip
(27-03-2013 19:54)bbrip Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,

asumming with "MS" you mean MinimServer rather than some nasty health issues, All I can say is that MinimServer works extrmely well the Lumin App. if the tacks just roll thru one after the other wothout playing, it could be an issue of the server pointing to a file adress that is no longer valid.

Have you tried rebuilding the Minim library? Or maybe try an update of the Lumin App library itself, which you can do under settings.

Dont know the LUMIN player itself but assuming the stuff (audio format) you feed it is on its compatibility list, that should not be the source of the problem.

good luck
bbrip

Thanks for the reminder tip bbrip. Will give that a try.
(27-03-2013 19:31)Pale Rider Wrote: [ -> ]But when I try to play files, the Lumin just sits there; the track name shows in its window, but play never commences. If I assemble a playlist, and press play, the Lumin cycles quickly through the files as if there is no content in them. The names of the files appear in the Lumin device window, but it goes right through the list without actually playing any content.

There's a known issue when using MinimServer with the LUMIN player (not the LUMIN app). I'll send you a PM link to a test build that should solve the problem.

(27-03-2013 19:54)bbrip Wrote: [ -> ]asumming with "MS" you mean MinimServer rather than some nasty health issues....

MS also means something else in the software context. Because of these other meanings, I'm somewhat allergic to this abbreviation for MinimServer.
(27-03-2013 20:16)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]MS also means something else in the software context. Because of these other meanings, I'm somewhat allergic to this abbreviation for MinimServer.
Simon, I can understand that,
but nowadays you just have to be happy that minim doesn't
resemble any strange yellow fruit Dodgy
(27-03-2013 20:16)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]
(27-03-2013 19:31)Pale Rider Wrote: [ -> ]But when I try to play files, the Lumin just sits there; the track name shows in its window, but play never commences. If I assemble a playlist, and press play, the Lumin cycles quickly through the files as if there is no content in them. The names of the files appear in the Lumin device window, but it goes right through the list without actually playing any content.

There's a known issue when using MinimServer with the LUMIN player (not the LUMIN app). I'll send you a PM link to a test build that should solve the problem.

Got the link and will try it out. However, I need to report that refreshing and restarting MinimServer from MinimWatch caused a second MinimServer library to appear in the settings panel of the Lumin iPad app. I believe the library I was originally trying to play was cached in the iPad app from when I first tested the Lumin app at the time I ordered my player. In between my order and the player's arrival, I changed the directory structure of my music folder on my source drive, which of course changed the structure on my Synology NAS when the source was backed up. I presume that made the contents in the Lumin iPad app "wrong." Selecting the newer library in the iPad app solved the problem, and I am now listening to Emily Palen's stunning violin in DSD. Thanks again bbrip.

(27-03-2013 20:16)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]MS also means something else in the software context. Because of these other meanings, I'm somewhat allergic to this abbreviation for MinimServer.

I promise not to do it again!Big Grin
(28-03-2013 13:54)Pale Rider Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks again bbrip.

Pleasure Wink
(27-03-2013 19:31)Pale Rider Wrote: [ -> ]Today, I installed my brand-new Lumin [ a lovely piece of equipment] into my system. It is connected via Ethernet to the same Airport Extreme bridge as the PWD. It is connected to the same Zektor MAS7.1 switch as the PWD.

When I started up the Lumin, it powered up fine. When I started the Lumin iPad app, it located the MS immediately, and it also located the Lumin itself. I am able to turn the Lumin on and off from the iPad app. I am able to select tracks into a playlist. Cover art is good, and search works well. But when I try to play files, the Lumin just sits there; the track name shows in its window, but play never commences. If I assemble a playlist, and press play, the Lumin cycles quickly through the files as if there is no content in them. The names of the files appear in the Lumin device window, but it goes right through the list without actually playing any content.

I have a feeling I am missing something obvious here, but for the life of me, I don't know what it is.

TIA for any suggestions or questions. And again, if I should seek my answer elsewhere, just let me know.

This is a common problem I have struggled with for some months now on my Lumin (and troubleshooted with Simon). My problems mostly appear with Flac and AAC files.
When it becomes stuck, just restart the minimserver and you should be good to go. It is very hard to tell whether this incompatibility flaw resides on the minimserver or Lumin side.
(09-04-2013 23:19)Frode Wrote: [ -> ]This is a common problem I have struggled with for some months now on my Lumin (and troubleshooted with Simon). My problems mostly appear with Flac and AAC files.
When it becomes stuck, just restart the minimserver and you should be good to go. It is very hard to tell whether this incompatibility flaw resides on the minimserver or Lumin side.

Hi Frode,
Please see this post. Setting the ohnet.subnet property as described in the post has solved similar problems for other people with 2-port Synology models.

Simon
(10-04-2013 00:01)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-04-2013 23:19)Frode Wrote: [ -> ]This is a common problem I have struggled with for some months now on my Lumin (and troubleshooted with Simon). My problems mostly appear with Flac and AAC files.

Hi Frode,
Please see this post. Setting the ohnet.subnet property as described in the post has solved similar problems for other people with 2-port Synology models.

Simon
Thanks, I will try this on my NAS however I am confident that this is not the whole fix because I have a second library running on my HTPC also containing another instance of minimserver and the problems are the same. So it is not directly related to my NAS. My HTPC has only one Ethernet port physically hooked up to my router.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's