MinimServer Forum

Full Version: Mp3 transcoding and replay gain
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I have the following in minimserver:

stream.options: convOut=-af volume=replaygain=album
stream.transcode: mp4:wav24, mp3:wav24, flac:wav24;

I have replaygain_album_gain tag set in all my files. The flacs are all working but I have just had a shocker - an mp3 was in a playlist and it nearly blew my ears off!

It has the tag, which is set to -12 or so dB. I also have Asset with ReplayGain set so just did a comparison on the same file. And Minim definitely isn't applying the gain.

Am I missing something in the above?
Does the problem (gain not applied) happen when the MP3 file isn't in a playlist?

Please upload the MP3 file to my FTP server so that I can do some experiments. I will send you a PM with the server details.
(04-09-2018 18:35)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]Does the problem (gain not applied) happen when the MP3 file isn't in a playlist?

Please upload the MP3 file to my FTP server so that I can do some experiments. I will send you a PM with the server details.

Hi Simon,

I was using Kazoo, so when it happened I cleared its playlist (or queue), then loaded it again from Minim and Asset. Played each one and Asset was at the expected volume, Minim was loud (12dB louder seems about right).

I'll do the upload now.
Thanks for uploading the file. I used mp3:wav transcoding to play it both with and without the convOut setting. With the convOut setting, the volume was reduced as expected.
Hmm. I'll try again here doing what you did and report back.
Hi Simon. It's not working here. I have tried taking out all the stream.options and the volume is the same as with them in. I tried changing the transcode from mp3:wav24 to mp3:wav, no different. Just to check I tried the same with a flac file and it worked as expected. Next I tried it with another mp3 and.... not workiong.
Now I realise I have the stream.converter set to ffmpeg. Is that right?It could well be I have not played any mp3s since replay gain was introduced!
Just looking again at the user guide.
I am running minim on a QNAP NAS. The ffmpeg appears to be put in that converter property automatically if it is found - I took it out, applied it, restarted and it reappeared.
I have looked in the log on restart and playing, set to verbose, no warnings even.
Try setting stream.converter to /mnt/ext/opt/medialibrary/bin/ffmpeg. The default version of ffmpeg might be an older version, depending on what level of QTS you have. I can't check this at present because I am away from home for the next few days.

The test I ran was on Windows using a recent version of ffmpeg.
I have the latest QTS (I always update). Tried your suggestion, no change Sad Maybe even that is out of date?
IO have Minim on my backup Synology NAS, which has a copy of all my audio files. Minim may need updating, but if I have time tomorrow I'll start it up and try on that and report back.
Actually it didn't take too long so just done it.
Minimserver on the Synology has the same settings as the QNAP, with the default ffmpeg. And it works. So it's pointing to the ffmpeg on the Qnap. Is it possible to manually install a known working ffmpeg on the QNAP?
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's