MinimServer Forum

Full Version: Testament for minimserver just in case?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi Simon,

maybe because I become older and I have the feeling that more and more people die (not only music artists who I am really missing) I wonder if you have done a testament for what will happen with your minimserver project if you cannot develop it anymore? Will it become open source in this case? Or do you think about opening the source anyway some day? It really would be a pity if such a great opus disappeared one day.

It is a very uncomfortable topic, but one should think about it.

I wish you and all a long and great life
Gert
Yes, I have thought about this. There are some arrangements in place (by no means perfect) and these might change if I manage to survive for a bit longer. Smile

It is not likely that I would make MinimServer open source while I am still actively developing and maintaining it.

It isn't just a matter of making the source code available. There are also the website and forum, the update server and the build scripts and build machine configurations, not to mention all the design knowledge about how things work in the code.

This is all I want to say at the present time.
Ok, thank you, Simon.

The most important thing is that the source code does not get lost. Making it available for others offers them the chance to let the project go on. If other people understand the source code and its philosophy?... well maybe not. But if they do not have the code no one will have the chance to understand it.

A forum is not that problematic I think. If there are enough interested users, there will be a forum. Or an existing hifi forum can be used for this (better than nothing).

Updates could be done manually by offering simple downloads without the update server. It would not be that comfortable, but it would work.

I understand that it is not so easy to organize, but it would be good to have a plan for this case. And it is good that you have the plan to survive for a bit longer Smile

Greetings
Gert
A nice cheerful Christmas subject!

And, if you make it Simon, a Happy New Year.....

Personally I think you should build Minimserver to self-distruct should you disappear.

donuk Sunny downtown York
Well, christmas IMHO does not need to be cheerful only. It can be thoughtful and reflective as well.

But I do not want to spoil anyone these days (is this correct English?), it is really not meant negatively.

I wish you a happy time!
Gert
Reference URL's